Gaming is widely recognized. It’s been associated with us for a long time. If we take a look around, everything has been digitalized. But for those of this generation, they were a time we had to connect the console to the TV to play it. It wasn’t that easy. We had to fight with our parents to buy us one of the system and disk of games. There are varieties of games available now but at those times the games available was limited.
Artifacts show that about thousands of years ago several board games were played. To assume, they too loved to pass their time with games. Digitalization of games started with the invention of electronic computers. Back then the systems were as big as the size of a room and were very slow. The craze of programmers was such they played simple games like tic-toe in that huge machine too. After the world war, the computers started shrinking and installation of such machines was made in corporations and universities. This marks the spark for programmers to choose gaming as a career.
- In the 1950s electronic gaming system was invented by Ralph Bauer that was to hook up to the televisions. This idea was redefined in “Brown Fox” which is generally considered the first game.
- In 1964 the BASIC programming language arrived that initiated the coding for games.
- In 1972 the first home console started to make its debut. It was named Odyssey and based on the Brown Fox concept.
- Atari2600 was very popular. It made used of cartridges plug-in to explore different games. Space Invader for Atari 2600 collected revenue of 500 million and still counting. Pac man has been the most famous game ever.
- Nintendo game to the industry with the portable gaming model as the Game Boy. This started the market for portable devices.
Modern Era of Gaming
Sony, Microsoft released their portable devices like Playstation, Xbox. GTA became an instant hit in PlayStation. In 2001 Microsoft released Xbox which allowed players to compete among other players. Games like hearthstone have also been popular. Hearthstone boosting helps to increase your rank and win. It gives a status among other players.
Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo are giving tough competition to each other with Xbox One X, PlayStation 4 Pro, and the Nintendo Switch respectively. Facebook’s online platform and mobile phones like android and phone have anticipated the gaming industry more.
Facebook’s Oculus Rift, a virtual reality gaming is going to bring revolution to the gaming industry. Microsoft and Sony are too moving towards this technology that has the potential to change the way we look at games. The gaming market is worth billions now. It is a market that has the least change to fall as long as creative exists.